SingleFlyer Turns 5!
Five years ago I today purchased the domain “singleflyer.com” as a place to share my travel experiences.
Before starting my own website, I knew I wanted to focus on two things:
- Traveling solo
- Remaining independent
I had experienced the freedom of solo travel and wanted to encourage others to try it out. It was scary at first, but once I took the risk, I loved it.
I also noticed a lot of blogs were focused on getting people to sign up for credit cards. I came to the conclusion that people that received payment for their travel writing could not remain unbiased. I didn’t want to go down that path.
Five years later…
Most of my content isn’t targeted to solo travelers because, it turns out, a lot of travel is the same if you are alone or with others. However, I remain independent and do not participate in any credit card affiliate programs. The only money I make off the website is in (minimal) ad revenue.
I keep writing because it is fun for me and I enjoy being part of the travel community. I like having something to work on while I travel; especially when I am traveling solo. This summer I spent six weeks traveling the world; mostly on my own. I looked forward to sharing my experiences through posts. It is a lot of fun to know people are reading what I post.
My very first post was on how to finance travel through renting out your home on Airbnb. The next day I posed about the various Cirque shows in Vegas. I had read somewhere to write about what you know so that is where I started. My first hotel review was of the Kimpton Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City which included all of one photo! My first flight review (more like some musings on a milage run) was a domestic flight on Alaska Airlines.
Here are the top posts (by page views) from the first 5 years of SingleFlyer:
- M life Explained (Las Vegas) – February 18, 2015
- Cheapoair Cancelation Fee – April 6, 2017 – By far the post with the most comments as well
- M life VIP Lounge (Las Vegas) – July 20, 2015
- Caesars Diamond Status Explained (Las Vegas) – November 17, 2018
- Free Shows in Vegas for Caesars Rewards Diamond Members (Las Vegas) – December 9, 2018
- Car2Go vs Zipcar – March 12, 2015
- Options for Caesars Rewards Diamond Celebration Dinner (Las Vegas) – December 9, 2018
- Zipcar Commuter Plan for $199 a Month – May 19, 2017
- M life Platinum Experience (Las Vegas) – January 24, 2016
- Car2Go vs ReachNow vs Zipcar: Which Car Share is Right for You – May 30, 2017
Thank you for reading my humble blog. I look forward to the next five years and the adventure that awaits.
What would you like to see more of on SingleFlyer in the years to come?