ReachNow vs Car2Go
One of my most popular blog posts has been my comparison of car share programs: Car2Go vs Zipcar. So it seemed only appropriate to do a follow up post adding in the new kid in Seattle: BMW’s ReachNow. ReachNow functions almost identically to Car2Go, so what I said in my previous post comparing Car2Go and Zipcar is basically the same as comparing ReachNow and Zipcar. Instead I will focus my attention on ReachNow vs Car2Go.
So far ReachNow is only in Seattle however I can only assume that BMW will expand their program across the country if it makes financial sense.
Here are the main differences between the three major car sharing programs:
ReachNow vs Car2Go vs Zipcar
Currently ReachNow is offering free lifetime memberships and reduced pricing for drive time of $0.41 per minute (down from the “regular” rate of $0.49 per minute).
Benefits of ReachNow
- Easy sign up – all you have to do is take a picture of your drivers license with the app. Currently there is no fee so there really is no reason not to sign up even if you think you’ll only use it once or twice.
- Car choices – With Car2Go there are few options; you know you are getting a SmartCar. Some cities have electric SmartCars, so far Seattle does not. With ReachNow you have the option of the all electric i3, the quite sporty 3 Series, or the functional/fun MINI Copper (either 2 or 4 doors). All of the ReachNow cars are more powerful and a better ride than the Car2Go SmartCar.
- No “Score” – Car2Go gives you a score out of 100 (based on your driving skills, accelration, breaking, etc). When you get low it threatens that you might lose your membership if you don’t drive with better fuel efficiency. I always get annoyed by the tsk tsk from Car2Go. ReachNow doesn’t have this “feature”.
Benefits of Car2Go
- More cars – there are 750 Car2Go vehicles available in Seattle compared to 520 ReachNow vehicles.
- Simple – I find the Car2Go vehicles to be a lot easier to use. You get in, type in your PIN on the touchscreen, and you are ready to drive. ReachNow (like Car2Go) has a uniform interface on each car but it uses a joystick like interface that is kind of clunky. On a couple of occasions I have been unable to end a trip. UPDATE: Car2Go has now introduced additional Mercedes Benz vehicles at a premium price.
- Easy to Park – Car2Go vehicles are tiny. Some people say they are a golf cart. But it does make parking possible in just about any space in Seattle.
- Larger Home Area – Car2Go can be driven and parked anywhere within the city limits of Seattle. ReachNow has a smaller area where you can pick up/drop off your vehicle; although I expect that will change. Also, Car2Go is available worldwide so once you are a member you can use a Car2G0 in any city it is offered.
A note on Zipcar
Recently Zipcar has been piloting a one-way trip program. So far it isn’t as easy as ReachNow or Car2Go as you still need to park it in the designated spot. It will be interesting to see if Zipcar tries to go head to head more with the free floating car share programs.
At the end of the day comparing ReachNow vs Car2Go is an exercise in minutia. It is like comparing Lyft and Uber. They are very similar programs. Right now ReachNow has a bit of the edge as they have better vehicles for the same price. If the price goes up, the edge would go to Car2Go in my opinion. However, I am guessing most people end up with accounts with both ReachNow and Car2Go and then go with whatever program has a vehicle that is closer when needed. The real question is does Seattle have enough demand for two free floating car share companies?
What’s your opinion on ReachNow vs Car2Go vs Zipcar?
Note: I am not paid by Zipcar, ReachNow or Car2Go. I am not a spokesperson. I do not get any commission, compensation or payment if you sign up for either. These are just my thoughts about these useful services. However, if you would like to sign up for Zipcar and support this blog, you can get a $25 credit through this link. Full disclosure, I get $25 credit too. If you want to sign up for Car2Go, enter promo code JOINC2GSEA_alanwaite to get a FREE lifetime membership and $5 minutes of free driving. Full disclosure, I get a $10 credit if you sign up.